Friday 13 February 2015

Sweet Darling - Embracing My Inner Girly Girl


One thing that I love to do is experiment. I guess you could say that because we plus size women have a plethora of clothing options to chose from nowadays our mind sets have somewhat been adjusted, at least in my case I have experienced the change. For years we had so little style options that the common thing for most of us was just finding clothes that fit and trying to find a way to make them work within our personal style...



As a child I wore skirts and things but I never had the experience of wearing a tutu. For me the closest I came was cute little party dresses, but I think my never taking ballet lessons may have had something to do with this sad fact. A little over 2 years ago things started to change for me. Ever so slowly I began to increase more colours and fabrics into my wardrobe and slowly I was ditching the black and dowdy items and bringing in the bright and fun options. Now I can't lie and say I've always been a girly girl, as previously mentioned here on the blog I used to wear feminine items but I would steer clear of skirts and dresses. My recent change in mind set has let me to be more experimental and fun when choosing my outfits and I am really enjoying playing dress up and being really girly. Hanna, Lucie and I decided to have an afternoon of girl talk and styling which I have to say was so much fun! I had mentioned to Hanna that I had seen a really cute look on Instagram that a standard sized blogger was wearing that I'd love to replicate. In true "Hanna" style she took this as a challenge. I had seen a gorgeous blogger (who's name I don't know unfortunately) had shared her picture with a fashion look page that I follow and I just loved how she styled her look (She unfortunately wasn't tagged into the picture, otherwise I would drop a link to her page for you to see her blog). A really cute grey sweater and coffee coloured tutu was paired with a cute pair of heels and I just loved how casual, girly and sweet the look was. Hanna instantly pulled the most amazing Navy tutu out of her wardrobe and a "darling" sweater for me to try on. The next thing I know the girls had selected a pair of shoes and a clutch for me to wear with the outfit and I absolutely fell in love with the end result!



I really like simplistic colours and tones in clothes because for me they act as a blank canvas. When you have blacks, greys, whites and blues the options you have for accessories is pretty much endless! Gold or silver items work with this kind of of colour combination and a sharp splash of colour would really make the look come to life. In these pictures we went with a simple pair of nude peep-toe heels from Matalan and an oversized clutch from Primark. 

Unfortunately both the tutu and sweater are no longer available. However I will most definitely keep my eyes open for similar items and I'll be sure to update you all of my findings. To give you more detail on the Tutu I am wearing this in a size 18 from the Asos main range and the sweater is a size 26 from Evans. 



I don't know what it is but every time I wear a big puffy skirt the childish playful side of my personality comes out. I love twirling, spinning and doing cute things in those sorts of clothes. I think perhaps this is why I gravitate to flared dresses and circle skirts when I buy my vintage inspired items. One thing I know for sure is that I need to get my hands on a tutu of my own! I have no idea when or where I would wear one but I don't care! I felt so girly, cute and sweet in this outfit and I have every intention of wearing something similar again one of these days. 

I think it's fair to say that you can always try those things that you missed out on previously when it comes to fashion. The trends come back in style and the options for clothing are far from few. I am embracing my inner girly girl and having an amazing time doing it. Don't be afraid to try new things, you may surprise yourself and love how you look!


Remember whatever you wear, feel fabulous in it and wear it with a smile!


20 comments:

  1. Where to even start on the amazingness that is THIS OUTFIT ON YOU! Firstly, I love that you took a look and made it work for us plus size woman. We are forever seeing outfits and wishing we could fit into them or asking brands to cater for us plus size when we can easily modify a look and you look absolutely stunning in this outfit babe. Just goes to show sometimes when you let others dress you ( THIS WAS ALL HANNA, I just gave the clutch lol ) that sometimes magic can happen and you get a look you'd of never picked out for yourself but it works and this my sweet, is one magical look.

    ​Lucie xx
    Fatbeautyx | Plus Size Fashion & Beauty Blogger & Vlogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie that means a lot. I do look at styles worn by smaller women and see of I can find ways to bring them into my style. At the end of the day it's all about the clothes and not the size.

      You can't go wrong with a super girly look. I'm glad you guys like how this looks. I NEED a tutu in my life!

      Delete
  2. Oh my- you look AMAZING!! So glad you and the girls took the inspiration and ran with it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodie xxx it's amazing what can happen when you put 3 fashion bloggers together and they play dress up lol

      Delete
  3. I freakin love this Mayah! You look amazing! I am looking for a tutu skirt so hard at the moment but the lovely ones (if I could squeeze into them were sold out on Asos main range) and there are ones on a repro vintage site they go up to a size 18 but as more of a 20/22 I am bit worried! But I need one in my life sooooo badly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment Vicky. This was an 18 in the Asos main range and there was so much room it's unreal! I need to get my hands on my own tutu I would love a baby one like this, white or hot pink!

      I promise if I find any good ones anywhere I'll keep you posted xx

      Delete
    2. I think it might be in stock as I noticed the ASOS Curve tutu is called a mesh tiered skirt so I put mesh in instead of Tulle which I had been searching and 5 colour options came up including Navy but in the tall range, I am only a widgy 5'5" but I might give it a try anyhow!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for that Vicky I had a look on the site after getting your message and I LOVE the available colours! Unfortunately all of the larger sizes are sold out and I only saw sizes 10 and 12 available. Hopefully we'll both get something like this soon x

      Delete
  4. YOU BABE! Thanks so much for showing me the inspiration-pic and letting me recreate it on you with my wardrobe. This look is so super cute on you – love it! And love you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Hun thank you! I love this look I defo need to invest in a tutu. Had a lot of fun playing dress up. Defo a lot of fun trying to re-create something also x

      P.S love you too!

      Delete
  5. This outfit is uh-mazing! The tutu is awesome, and I love the playful feel in the photos. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leah xx I love this outfit I definately need to wear stuff like this more often x

      Delete
  6. I love your outfit! The tutu is so playful and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking AMAZING Mayah, you should embrace your inner girly girl more often. I absolutely adore this skirt and the jumper with it. FAB! :D xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura I love experimenting with looks and this one really worked, very Carrie Bradshaw xxx

      Delete
  8. Mayah ur smile is making it work....that's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're really inspiring! I love it! Mind checking out my page? I'm writing about self confidence and plus size clothing for teens! http://curvygirlsonfleek.blogspot.com/?m=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment, will do. Xx

      Delete