Tuesday 26 August 2014

Breaking All The Rules!

I hate that society feels that people can be told how they should dress. Fashion isn't just about fabrics you throw across your body; we are able to express ourselves and experiment through the way that we dress. Those of you who are familiar with my style will know that I tend to wear whatever takes my fancy. I own glamorous and traditional pieces, modern and edgy items and I have a deep affection for vintage clothing. Having said all of that I hate reading comments like "big girls shouldn't wear stripes", "those fabrics aren't flattering on a bigger girl" etc. etc. In truth I have seen people of all shapes and sizes wear clothes that perhaps the wider majority would disapprove of and whilst some things may not be to my taste I love that people feel free and experimental with fashion. 


Sometimes it's fun to play around with how you mix and match clothes and I like to do this a lot. Through experimentation I have started to find out what really works for me and what I feel great in. When I pulled this outfit together it was with the help of my good friend Hanna from The Wardrobe Challenge. I love her sense of dress and the way that she puts separates together. I said to her that I really want something unpredictable to go with my pleather waistcoat from Yours Clothing size 22/24. 

She let me try out her pleated midi skirt from F&F clothing by Tesco size 22, and I absolutely loved the look and fit of the garment. Unfortunately this print is no longer available so I was lucky enough to be able to borrow Hanna's. What I like about this skirt the most is the length. Very reminiscent of a 1940s-1950s tea skirt I was instantly drawn to this one. What made it different to skirts from that era was the chiffon fabric used. Usually we're told that horizontal stripes for big girls is a definite no no but I have to say to whoever made up that rule, I think they're crazy! Some people think that wearing stripes in that direction can make a person look a lot wider than they are. In my opinion I think that as long as the fit is OK this isn't going to be an issue. I know one thing it hasn't stopped me from picking out items with the classic pattern. 



Paired with an oversized tee shirt from Zizzi I found the winning outfit. Sometimes I like going for minimalist colours and sticking to black and white and that's actually one of the things I enjoy most about this look. I think what's cool about this look is that even though it lacks in colour, it has a lot going on. With a mixture of fabrics from cotton, chiffon and pleather there are many different elements which come together to form the final look. From vintage pinup to rock chick I think the combination is fun and fresh and definitely a look I will try to replicate in the future. 

I decided I would keep accessories very simple and wear a simple drop necklace with lilac colour disk and my signature hoop earrings. Any style of classic black or white shoe would have worked for this look but I opted for a simple ballerina pump. 



The more I build on my style repitoire and the more I discover about what's available on the market; my desicion to just do whatever I want is made. I see some of the most gorgeous garments out there and I won't cut my nose off to spite my face by leaving items on the racks just because I have been told by society that I shouldn't wear a certain fabric or print. As I have mentioned in previous posts you may see an item and not know what to do with it but you never know a look may present itself to you or you may decide to play around and come up with the perfect outfit.


Play around, take risks and remember, whatever you where, feel fabulous in it and where it with a smile! 






No comments:

Post a Comment