Wednesday 6 August 2014

Maximise With A Maxi

Do you ever find yourself searching for a specific kind of garment? Maybe you want something for a particular event or season? In my case I was on a quest for the perfect maxi dress. It seems that having a good maxi dress is just as important as having the perfect LBD in your wardrobe and with the holiday season here and the temperatures soaring, my eyes have been well and truly open as I scoured websites and stores looking for a dress that was just right!

I wanted something that would suit my style, needs and my taste in colour and fabric. The lovely Hanna from The Wardrobe Challenge showed me a dress by Lovedrobe that she had recently gotten which I instantly feel in love with! The length was just right; adequate to wear with flats, wedges and heels. The silky soft fabric was light, airy and flattering on her and I knew this was one I wanted to pick up for myself. 



One of my concerns was trying to find a dress that I felt supported my breasts. So many maxi dresses have halter-neck ties or elasticated stretch material in that area, which is fine and looks good with the style. In my case I like to feel a dress mould around my bust and provide a little extra support. The thin straps are adjustable, giving you the option to wear the dress in a more fitted fashion (as I have in these pictures) or looser for comfort. The built in cups sit nicely against my shape giving me a full and elegant look.


I really wanted a dress with splashes of colour and this black maxi with splattered print in coral, pink, yellow and peachy tones is something I would wear out and about for drinks or enjoying myself in the sunshine. The waist detail and side ties pull you in at the middle giving a nice lift to the bust and comfortable sweep of the skirt. I picked this dress up in a size 26 as the area around the cups is rather fitted and it would have been too tight had I selected something smaller. Depending on the size and shape of your bust you may be able to downsize in this one as the skirt of the dress is very roomy.

I last wore this dress on a seriously hot day and despite the base colour being in black I felt really comfortable. The light fabric made this a perfect selection for such a sunny day in London. The interesting feel about the material of the dress is that I know I could have worn this dress on a cooler evening and still felt comfortable in it. To me the fabric of the dress feels rather adaptable and would be a comfortable wear for most temperatures during the summer and early autumn. 



I wanted to wear a simple shrug with this one. This was in an effort to avoid gaining thick tan lines from the straps of the dress and my bra. If I were to wear this out one evening, I would most likely wear a light jacket in black to compliment the fabric and offer a little additional coverage. 

For a dress with such a bold print I wanted very light and simple accessories. I played around with the colour pallet of the dress and so I opted for the Raffia Clutch from Simplybe and netted ballerina shoes from Primark. Feathered jewellery added those finishing touches I like and I feel that they worked well with the print in the dress.




The great news about this dress, it's on sale! You can pick this one up at Evans where I got mine at an amazing £30 reduced from £50. If you like this one I would definitely recommend it. It feels amazing on and the style is simple and elegant. With just the right amount of colour this is one that works perfectly for the current season. I look forward to taking this one with me on holiday where it shall make an appearance at the beach! 


Remember what ever you where, feel fabulous in it and where it with a smile! 




8 comments:

  1. I really like this maxi dress and it really suits you Mayah. You look beautiful in it too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks honey that's really sweet of you. I love how this dress looks and fits. If they do any more prints in the same style I may have to pick one up lol x

      Delete
  2. this dress is lovely, but you make it stunning. You glow and look so beautiful my dear. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks honey I love this dress I'm glad you think it looks good!

      Delete
  3. The dress is gorgeous, and I love how you styled it--especially the feather earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura I love this dress. Glad you like what I did with it x

      Delete