Thursday 19 February 2015

The Lady In Red - A Scarlett & Jo Review


*This Dress Was A Gifted Item

There isn't a woman alive who doesn't want to feel glamorous, sexy and elegant. Many women have their idea of how they would like to look and it usually involves wearing a beautiful dress of some kind.
I personally believe that every women should own a LBD and an LRD for those of who aren't familiar with the acronyms I mean a Little Black Dress and a Little Red Dress. I view these 2 dresses as essential wardrobe items. Most of us have found ourselves or can find ourselves in a situation where a beautiful dress is the required attire for a function. Family events, work functions, nights with friends or more romantic evenings are known to inspire all women to glam up. 

As you know I was one of 8 lucky bloggers who participated in the SS15 campaign shoot for Scarlett & Jo. One dress in particular caught everyone's eye, the gorgeous Lace Maxi Dress. This design was inspired by the lovely Georgina Grogan who was nicknamed 'The Queen Of Lace' by Scarlett & Jo's designer, Gifi Fields. I first tried this dress on when I went into the office for my SS15 shoot fitting. I originally tried this one in black, size 24 and I loved the shape and fall in the skirt.



Gifi has showcased a great deal of enthusiasm about this design as he feels that it's one of the best in his career thus far. I can see why he would say so because the shape of the dress is one that is adjustable to all body types. The clever engineering involved allows the dress to work with you, highlighting your best assets and beautifully concealing the ones you may not be as happy about. The inner lining of the dress is a silky smooth slip that to my luck is cut in the same shape as a Powerfit dress. The lace overlay is silky soft to the touch and so comfortable to wear. Many lace items I have worn in the past have been a tough and itchy material that may look amazing but isn't so nice on the skin. I was really impressed with the quality of the lace used. In even better news it's stretchy and will mould nicely to your bust, stomach and behind in a very comfortable way. The three quarter length sleeves are an amazing length for me, as a woman with large upper arms I should also note that nowhere did this dress pinch me in the arm area. The comfort is incredible and a great choice if you want something glamorous but also easy to wear. Of course the fishtail detail at the hem of the dress gives the overall design that little something extra. I also find that the way the lace drapes, provides a really nice structure to the dress with a secure fall of the skirt. The V shaped neckline allows for a nice amount of cleavage which is tasteful but still modest.

I should note that shapewear and heels will elongate the silhouette of the body and provide a better look overall for this dress and many others in a similar shape. 




I spent many years professionally singing soul, jazz and R&B music and I always wanted the opportunity to glam up like the classic singers; Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James and many of the other legends. It has been and still is a dream of mine to walk on stage in the most beautiful gown, microphone in hand and wow the crowd both with my voice and my stage attire. I may end up in a photoshoot of this kind before that happens, either way you guys will all be informed of what happens through my pictures and blog posts. 

As we are heavily into award show season I thought about all of the gorgeous red carpet looks I have seen at the moment and it got me to think about how I might style this dress for such an event. Going back to the style of the gorgeous soul singers, I gravitated towards pearls. I decided to wear a pearl necklace, pearl bracelets and studs with diamonte adornments. Black patent heels and a faux fur black coat topped off the look and I was left feeling like a million dollars! 




This dress is available in red, blue and black. The red goes on sale tomorrow and is available exclusively online at Evans. Valentines may have just passed but with the spring and summer right around the corner this dress would be great for many of the events in the season. Every woman should have that one dress that makes her look and feel like a queen. I feel so elegant, glamorous and confident in this dress. A timeless design that will turn heads and make you feel amazing, trust me on this one!



For more on Scarlett & Jo  and to see what else is available in the collection check out their Tumblr and Evans pages.

Remember whatever you wear, feel fabulous in it and wear it with a smile!


10 comments:

  1. That dress is amazing, and you look so glamorous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayah, you look absolutely stunning! That dress is fab on you and the faux fur coat is just perfect with it. Red is such a beautiful colour on you, and you make the dress look so classy. Fabulous <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Caroline that means a lot. Intend to go for black and blue dresses but I have to say I really love this Scarlett red dress it's very light and easy to wear and I like the colour too. Xxx

      Delete
  3. You look absolutely amazing, so elegant and quite Spanish actually, I imagine this dress on a flamenco dance! You really suit red xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks For the compliment Laura xxx. Now that you mention it I see what you mean about the flamenco style.

      Delete
  4. I've wanted a Scarlet and Jo anything for a while now but this dress was in my top wants! You rocked it to the moon and back! The fit is amazing, makes it look like they made this piece for you specifically. I am definitely gonna get this if its still available

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Altrisha thanks for such a sweet compliment. I cannot rave enough about Scarlett & Jo they are one of my all time favourite brands and everything I have tried from them has looked and felt amazing on you should definitely give them a try! This dress is still available in black, blue and red so be sure to check out the Evans website to pick one up. Send me a pic of you in yours, be great to see how you styled it xx

      Delete