Saturday 1 February 2014

Skin And Hair Problems Solved... With Turmeric!

When it comes to beauty I think one of the best things a person can do is take care of their skin. Now I'm someone who has combination skin on my face, which can be a nightmare to deal with. With general skin care, wearing make up and even using certain hair products I struggle with getting the perfect balance. I have what's known as an oily T zone and I have some dryer areas to my face. I moisturise daily and I exfoliate on a regular basis. The thing is I don't like putting chemicals on my skin a lot of the time as they can be costly and because some people have sensitive skin that can react badly to abrasive ingredients. I try to stick to the products that I know work for me.

When I was at a recent trip to my salon, my hair stylist made sure to tell me about her latest beauty secret. When she gave me the details I was so enthused to hear that I can make my own very effective skin care treatments using one or two things in my kitchen cupboards and my fridge! 

One fantastic ingredient that I have always been known to use when adding that little extra something to a dish while cooking is something I have personally renamed the super spice....... Turmeric! After seeing the results of a regular skin cleanse I decided to do a little research myself and I discovered so many useful tips and tricks for this amazing spice! 


I knew this spice had some fantastic properties to it but I had no idea that it could be used to do so many fantastic things for your hair and skin! 

Acne Treatment: There's a simply face mask that you can make using raw honey and powdered turmeric. If you mix the two ingredients together to form a paste, smear it on your face and leave it for about 30 mins or so and simply wash off. If you have pale skin you may have to spend a little extra time washing this off as it may leave a slight yellow hue on your skin. The end result is extremely smooth skin that will have a natural looking glow. 

Scar Treatments: Many people have scars from popping spots, cuts and bruises, eczema, stretch marks... you name it we may all have something! There is a simple treatment that is set to seriously help with the problems. Again using turmeric you can mix it with milk and flour, make a thick paste leave it on for around 30 mins (or longer if you prefer), wash it off  with water first and then again with a gentle soap. Hey presto you have a cheap and effective treatment to help make the scars fade. Some people also use turmeric and yoghurt with a little olive oil for the same effects. 

Some people like to take it internally for a skin treatment mixing it with milk and black pepper. From what I hear it does not taste like anything special but the effects are fantastic! 

Foundation Make Up: Many people have trouble getting the perfect shade of foundation and have been known to mix two different shades together to get to a close colour. Some have even been known to mix turmeric into their foundation to create the perfect shade for their skin tone, cream and powdered foundations are more likely to work better than bottled foundations because you can mix enough to match you skin tone into your compact or jar and then that's you set until it runs out. If you do decide to do this I would gradually add it into until you reach the colour you are aiming for. 

Facial Hair Treatment: Many women have been known to have random spurts of facial hair growth. Some wax, bleach and shave the hairs which in some cases can make the problem worse and even if you have dealt with the issue you may have a slight inkling that someone else can see those pesky hairs. Women around the world suffer from this problem and it can be rather embarrassing for them to deal with. This can be caused by an imbalance of hormones, a condition called Hirsutism. In India where turmeric is used on a regular basis for a series of things, some women also use it to fight this issue. 

Mixing it into paste using just water, apply it to the area and leave it on the skin until it dries. After the paste has dried proceed to wash it off. Some people have been known to mix this with gram flour also. You would need to do this frequently over a period of about a month to notice the results.  

Anti Dandruff Treatment: Mixing turmeric and olive oil is known to be extremely effective for helping with an itchy scalp and dandruff problems. Apply to the hair and leave for about 15 minutes before washing out with your regular shampoo. This is known to stimulate the hair follicles providing nutrition and circulation to the scalp.

As we all have different skin types if you decide to try any of these treatments you may want to do a small patch test on your skin to see how you feel with any of these remedies and to see how the turmeric washes off your skin. I would advise that you take care when doing this as it may stain your clothes or towels. 

I have only outlined a few of the fantastic beauty treatments that this fantastic spice can provide. It is also known to be an anti inflammatory ingredient, and has been used to help with toothache, bruises, chest pain and colic, women with menstrual problems have also found it helpful.

If you do try any of these treatments please let me know how you get on. I'd love to know how it works for you! 


6 comments:

  1. so interesting post
    have a nice weekend
    kisses

    www.thechicmode.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If you try any of these out I hope you find them useful. :)

      Delete
  2. great post turmeric is amazing ! not only just for curry's and stuff i use it to reduce my acne and works wonders xxx
    theinkedblonde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You're the second person to tell me that they use Turmeric for acne treatments and that it gives them great results. It's amazing what we can use from our kitchen cupboards to help solve our problems!

      Delete
  3. I have mild acne scars that are beginning to fade but still would like to try this treatment! I heard organic turmeric does not leave a yellowish tent! I was wondering if you know the measurements for the face treatment? For each ingredient

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberly I hope all is well.

      From what I have been told and from what my research tells me the main ingredient should be the Turmeric and the others are added to make it form a putty or paste. You want it thick enough to smear on your face without running. In truth different people use different amounts. Some people use 1-2 tablespoons and others use a lot more.

      You could always try out a small amount to start with and gradually add to it if you prefer.

      I hope it works out for you.

      Delete